Photo Of Attorney Jane K. Cristal

Protecting Your Rights And Best Interests

In Divorce And Other Family Law Matters

Can your spouse discuss the divorce proceedings outside court?

On Behalf of | Aug 3, 2022 | High-Asset Divorce |

Because divorce proceedings can be full of emotion and stress, some people may vent their dissatisfaction to friends and family. Some people like to talk about what’s happening in their marriage and how their divorce proceedings are developing. If word gets around, someone may find their spouse is talking behind their back – and some of what they say may not be true to facts. 

Learning your spouse is telling others about your private matters may not sit easily with you – especially if the truth was murky. Even if your spouse may only be speaking emotionally, some of what they say may be damaging to your reputation. Libel, slander and lies may give rise to defamation. 

Here’s what you should know:

Gossip about the divorce can really hurt your future

While some spouses may deliberately spread falsehoods about someone in an effort to hurt them, others may speak during an emotional time with no attempt at damaging another’s reputation. In either case, you may not want the ugly details of your split (true or not) to become public knowledge.

Gossip about your marriage and divorce can really damage your standing in your community:

  • You might no longer receive the same treatment from friends and family
  • You may find your children don’t view you the same way
  • Your career could be at risk if you’re accused of immoral behavior

A confidentiality agreement can silence rumors, save trouble

You can stop a lot of problems before they start with a confidentiality agreement. An agreement to keep the divorce details quiet has to be voluntarily made – but they can help both parties move on much more easily and protect your children from harm.

What’s said about your divorce proceedings won’t go away overnight. If you’re going through a divorce and discover your spouse has been spreading slander against you, you may consider reaching out for legal counsel